So Windows 10 is kind of a disaster we have known that for some time, This is a guide to make windows 10 a little bit less of a disaster by enabling your windows 10 system to boot directly from a VHDX file doing so has the fallowing advantages. Or in short it lets you make an easily transportable windows 10 image
– you get to have windows 10 in a file, easy to back up or transport to another machine.
– might make imaging systems very easy
– allows you to do seemingly risky things in windows without fear of totally bricking your OS
– would allow you to have different bootable windows files for different people or rather for different uses
– may not be stable, its designed for developers Microsoft recommends not using this in production.
– you wont be able to use bitlocker
So with that out of the way heres how this works
You’ll need a windows 10 iso, mount it and extract the sources file to your desktop
use the windows disk management utilities to create a blank VHDX
Note: microsoft seems to recommend making your VHDX file a static not dynamic vhdx file, I have run into some trouble booting in to dynamic files with errors about there not being enough drive space, consider yourself warned.
– initialize the vhdx file format as gpt and ntfs name it whatever you would like.
– mount your new vhdx file
open a admin powershell to the sources directory
dism /apply-image /imagefile:install.esd /index:1 /ApplyDir:vhdxdriveletter:\
Wait for windows to write all the files to the VHDX…
once thats done all that needs to be done is to add the VHDX to the boot record like so
Reboot and your good to go just select your vhdx on boot, worth noting that you can edit the description of the VHDX file using this little gem the visual bccd editor